Script with Translation

1 Hello, Catherine here from BBC Learning English. 你好,我是凯瑟琳,来自BBC学习英语。

2 Just so you know, this programme is from the BBC Learning English archive 仅供您参考,此节目来自BBC英语学习档案。

3 and was first broadcast in February 2015 on our website. 并于2015年2月首次在我们的网站上播出。

4 And now, on with the show. 现在,开始演出了。

5 6 Minute English. 6分钟英语。

6 From BBC Learning English dot com. 来自BBC学习英语网站。

7 Hello, I’m Rob. Welcome to 6 Minute English. 你好,我是罗布。 欢迎来到六分钟英语。

8 With me in the studio today is Neil. Hello, Neil! 今天工作室里有尼尔。 你好,尼尔!

9 Hello there, Rob! 你好,Rob!

10 Now I bet you have an impressive CV, Neil. 现在我敢打赌你有一份令人印象深刻的简历,尼尔。

11 ‘CV’ is short for ‘curriculum vitae’. ‘CV’ 是 ‘curriculum vitae’ 的缩写。

12 That’s a Latin expression we use for the document 那是我们用来指代文件的拉丁表达。

13 in which people list their work history, education, interests and abilities. 在其中,人们列出他们的工作经历、教育背景、兴趣和能力。

14 In other parts of the English-speaking world it’s called a ‘résumé’. 在英语国家的其他地方,它被称为“简历”。

15 Now, Neil, I know you are a very good teacher and producer, 现在,尼尔,我知道你是一位非常优秀的教师和制片人,

16 but does your CV actually shine? 但是你的简历真的出众吗?

17 Well, I hope it’s good enough to impress hiring managers. 好吧,我希望它足够好,能给招聘经理留下深刻印象。

18 But it’s a challenge to prove on a piece of paper or online document 但在一张纸上或在线文件中证明这一点很有挑战性。

19 that you’re really better than the other people 你真的比其他人更优秀。

20 who are competing for the same position. 正在争夺同一职位的人。

21 Hm. Today, we’re talking about CVs 嗯。今天我们要讨论简历。

22 and you’ll learn some words related to this topic, 你将学习一些与这个主题相关的词汇,

23 which will especially interest ‘jobseekers’ — 这将特别吸引“求职者”——

24 that’s what we call people looking for work. 这就是我们所称的找工作的人。

25 Yes, and jobseekers have to worry about having an impressive CV, 是的,求职者必须担心拥有一份令人印象深刻的简历。

26 so they get that call for a job interview. 所以他们接到了工作面试的电话。

27 Yes, the CV is just the beginning. 是的,简历仅仅是开始。

28 And, as you mentioned job interviews, I’ll ask you a question all about this. 而且,正如你提到的工作面试,我会问你一个与此有关的问题。

29 According to a recent survey, managers decide quite quickly 根据最近的调查,管理者很快就做出决定。

30 if they’re going to really consider giving a candidate a job or not. 如果他们真的会考虑给某个候选人一个职位的话。

31 So, when you go for a job interview how long do you have, on average, 所以,当你去面试时,平均你有多久时间,

32 to make a good enough impression for an employer to hire you? 给雇主留下一个足够好的印象,让他们雇用你?

33 Do you have a) Less than three minutes? b) Less than five minutes? 你有 a) 少于三分钟吗? b) 少于五分钟吗?

34 Or c) Less than ten minutes? 或者 c) 少于十分钟?

35 Well, I think it’s probably quite short, 嗯,我觉得这可能很短。

36 so I’m going to go for b) five minutes. 所以我选择 b) 五分钟。

37 Well, you’ll have the correct answer, the result of this survey, 好的,你将会得到正确的答案,这项调查的结果,

38 at the end of the programme. 在节目结束时。

39 But people have done all sorts of unusual things to reach the interview level. 但人们为了达到面试水平做了各种不寻常的事情。

40 One of them is Briton Daniel Conway, who went from posing shirtless in the street 其中一个是英国人丹尼尔·康威,他曾在街上赤裸上身摆姿势。

41 with the phrase “employ me” written on his chest 他胸前写着“雇佣我”的字样。

42 to uploading a video on social media asking to be hired. 在社交媒体上上传视频,请求被雇佣。

43 Ah, this video went ‘viral’ — it means became popular very quickly. 啊,这个视频“火了”——意味着变得很快就受欢迎。

44 In it, his daughter appears next to the phrase “give my dad a job”. 其中,他的女儿出现在“给我爸爸一个工作”这句话旁边。

45 Yes. Daniel Conway tells us about his experience looking for work. 是的,丹尼尔·康威告诉我们他寻找工作的经历。

46 Which word does he use when he says he wanted to be noticed? 他用哪个词表示他想被注意?

47 I just thought as a young naive kid that I would kind of walk into a job, 我只是觉得作为一个年轻天真的孩子,我会随便找到一份工作,

48 but the truth is, you know, there are a lot of good people out there 但是事实是,你知道,外面有很多好人。

49 who’ve got just as great skills and I realised at that point, 拥有同样出色技能的人,我在那时意识到,

50 you’ve got to stand out and get your strengths across. 你必须脱颖而出,展示你的优势。

51 He used the phrasal verb ’to stand out’. 他使用了短语动词“stand out”。

52 It means to be more visible than others in a group so that he can be noticed. 这意味着在一个群体中比其他人更显眼,以便被注意到。

53 Dan Conway uses another phrasal verb — ‘get your strengths across’. 丹·康威使用了另一个短语动词——“展现你的优势”。

54 To get something across means to make something clear. “传达某事"意味着使某事明确。

55 In this case, he wants the employer to understand 在这种情况下,他希望雇主能理解。

56 how good he is as a potential employee, his strengths and his good qualities. 他作为潜在员工的能力有多好,他的优点和良好品质。

57 And did he get the job? 他得到那份工作了吗?

58 Well, yes, he did. 好吧,是的,他确实这样做了。

59 And I’m glad to say that, after four years, 我很高兴地说,经过四年的时间,

60 this 29-year-old man got a job marketing vitamins! 这位29岁的男子找到了一份营销维生素的工作!

61 Well, we can say he was good at marketing himself. 好吧,我们可以说他擅长自我营销。

62 Yes, we can. 是的,我们可以。

63 Well, he was bold and courageous 好吧,他既大胆又勇敢。

64 in his attempts to catch potential employers’ attention. 在他努力吸引潜在雇主注意的过程中。

65 He showed a quality described by career coach Corinne Mills. 他展现了职业教练科琳·米尔斯所描述的品质。

66 Listen to what she says and tell me 听她说的话,然后告诉我。

67 what is the quality jobseekers have to show for sure. 求职者必须展示的优质素质是什么。

68 Oh, you’ve got to be confident. 哦,你必须要自信。

69 I mean, if you are not confident about your skills and abilities, 我的意思是,如果你对自己的技能和能力没有信心,

70 then why should an employer have faith in you? So, don’t be modest. 那么,雇主为什么要对你有信心呢?所以,不要太谦虚。

71 This is your opportunity to really show your skills and experience 这是你真正展示自己技能和经验的机会。

72 and what a great performer you’re gonna be in the job. 你在这个工作中将会是一个出色的表演者。

73 The career coach says you’ve got to be confident! 职业教练说,你必须要有信心!

74 It means self-assured, believe in your capacity to do things. 这意味着自信,相信你有能力去做事情。

75 And sometimes we feel that it isn’t nice to say “I’m very good at this” 有时候我们觉得说“我对此非常擅长”并不好。

76 or “I’m wonderful at that,” but she advises you not to be modest. 或者“我在那方面很出色,”但她建议你不要谦虚。

77 Exactly. ‘Modest’ means ‘humble; moderate when talking about your abilities’. 确切地说。“谦虚”意味着“谦逊;在谈论你的能力时保持适度”。

78 You know, Rob, I’ve got some top tips for people writing their CV. 你知道吗,罗伯,我有一些给写简历的人的建议。

79 OK, well let’s have them. 好的,那就让他们来吧。

80 Yes. Here’s the first one. 好的。这是第一个。

81 You have to be concise — it means brief: give the information in a few words. 你必须简洁——这意味着简短:用几个词提供信息。

82 Maybe you could write a brief profile at the top and keep the CV to just two pages. 也许你可以在开头写一个简短的个人简介,并将简历控制在两页内。

83 Thank you. That’s a good bit of advice. 谢谢。这是个很好的建议。

84 And I think you should give evidence of success in previous jobs. 我认为你应该提供之前工作的成功证据。

85 If a presentation you did helped you to get a client, you should include it there. 如果您做的演示帮助您获得了客户,您应该把它包含在其中。

86 And be accurate, in other words, be precise and tell the truth. 并且要准确,换句话说,要精确并讲真话。

87 Don’t invent things. 不要编造事情。

88 And you should also remember to check your spelling and grammar! 而且你也应该记得检查你的拼写和语法!

89 Yes, that’s very important! 是的,这非常重要!

90 Well, we wish everybody success when writing and sending out their CV, 那么,我们祝愿大家在撰写和发送简历时取得成功。

91 and we hope they are called for a job interview, 我们希望他们能被叫去面试。

92 in which they have a very short period of time to leave a good impression. 他们只有很短的时间留下良好的印象。

93 Indeed! So how long after all is this period of time, according to your survey? 确实!那么根据你的调查,这段时间到底是多长呢?

94 Did I get the answer to the question you asked 我得到了你问的问题的答案吗

95 at the beginning of the programme right? 节目开始时,对吧?

96 Well, I asked you how long do you have, on average, 好吧,我问你平均还有多久。

97 to make a good enough impression for an employer to hire you? 给雇主留下足够好的印象,让他们聘用你?

98 Do you have less than three minutes? 你有不到三分钟的时间吗?

99 Less than five minutes? Or less than ten minutes? 不到五分钟? 还是不到十分钟?

100 And I said less than five minutes. 我说不到五分钟。

101 And you’re wrong. 你错了。

102 The correct answer is actually less than ten minutes, 正确答案实际上少于十分钟。

103 so you have a little bit longer. 所以你还有一点时间。

104 Jobseekers have on average just six minutes and 25 seconds 求职者平均只有六分钟零二十五秒。

105 during the first meeting to impress potential employers. 在第一次会议期间给潜在雇主留下深刻印象。

106 That’s according to a new study from the website Monster dot co dot uk. 这根据网站Monster.co.uk的一项新研究。

107 And we’re almost out of time. 我们快没时间了。

108 So let’s remember some of the words we said today, Neil. 所以让我们记住今天我们说的一些话,尼尔。

109 CV, viral, 简历,病毒,

110 to stand out, 脱颖而出,

111 get your strengths across, 展现你的优势,

112 confident, modest, 自信,谦虚,

113 concise, accurate. 简洁、准确。

114 Thank you. Well, that is it for today. 谢谢。今天就到这里。

115 Do log on to BBC Learning English dot com to find more 6 Minute English programmes. 请登录 BBC Learning English 网站以查找更多六分钟英语节目。

116 — Until next time, goodbye! — Bye! — 下次再见,再见! — 拜拜!

117 6 Minute English 6分钟英语

118 from BBC Learning English. 来自BBC英语学习。

Downloads