Script with Translation

1 Hello, Catherine here from BBC Learning English. 你好,我是來自BBC學習英語的Catherine。

2 Just so you know, this programme is from the BBC Learning English archive 只是讓你知道,這個節目來自BBC學英語檔案。

3 and was first broadcast in February 2015 on our website. 並於2015年2月首次在我們的網站上播放。

4 And now, on with the show. 現在,繼續表演。

5 6 Minute English. 六分鐘英語。

6 From BBC Learning English dot com. 來自 BBC Learning English 網站。

7 Hello, I’m Rob. Welcome to 6 Minute English. 你好,我是羅布。 歡迎來到六分鐘英語。

8 With me in the studio today is Neil. Hello, Neil! 今天在工作室裡和我一起的是尼爾。 你好,尼爾!

9 Hello there, Rob! 你好,Rob!

10 Now I bet you have an impressive CV, Neil. 現在我打賭你有一份令人印象深刻的履歷,尼爾。

11 ‘CV’ is short for ‘curriculum vitae’. ‘CV’ 是 ‘curriculum vitae’ 的縮寫。

12 That’s a Latin expression we use for the document 那是我們用於文件的一個拉丁語表達。

13 in which people list their work history, education, interests and abilities. 人們列出他們的工作經歷、教育背景、興趣和能力。

14 In other parts of the English-speaking world it’s called a ‘résumé’. 在英語世界的其他地方,它被稱為「履歷表」。

15 Now, Neil, I know you are a very good teacher and producer, 現在,尼爾,我知道你是一位非常好的教師和製作人。

16 but does your CV actually shine? 但是你的履歷真的閃耀嗎?

17 Well, I hope it’s good enough to impress hiring managers. 好吧,我希望這能足夠好,讓招聘經理印象深刻。

18 But it’s a challenge to prove on a piece of paper or online document 但在一張紙上或線上文件中證明這一點是一個挑戰。

19 that you’re really better than the other people 你真的比其他人好。

20 who are competing for the same position. 正在競爭同一職位的人。

21 Hm. Today, we’re talking about CVs 嗯。今天,我們要討論的是履歷。

22 and you’ll learn some words related to this topic, 你將學習到一些與這個主題相關的詞彙,

23 which will especially interest ‘jobseekers’ — 這將特別吸引「求職者」——

24 that’s what we call people looking for work. 這就是我們所稱的找工作的人。

25 Yes, and jobseekers have to worry about having an impressive CV, 是的,求職者必須擔心擁有一份令人印象深刻的履歷。

26 so they get that call for a job interview. 所以他們接到工作面試的電話。

27 Yes, the CV is just the beginning. 是的,履歷表只是個開始。

28 And, as you mentioned job interviews, I’ll ask you a question all about this. 而且,正如你提到的面試,我會問你一個完全關於這個問題。

29 According to a recent survey, managers decide quite quickly 根據最近的一項調查,經理們決策的速度相當快。

30 if they’re going to really consider giving a candidate a job or not. 如果他們真的會考慮給一位候選人工作與否。

31 So, when you go for a job interview how long do you have, on average, 所以,當你去面試時,平均來說,你有多久的時間,

32 to make a good enough impression for an employer to hire you? 讓雇主對你留下足夠好的印象,以便雇用你?

33 Do you have a) Less than three minutes? b) Less than five minutes? 你有 a) 少於三分鐘嗎? b) 少於五分鐘嗎?

34 Or c) Less than ten minutes? 或 c) 少於十分鐘?

35 Well, I think it’s probably quite short, 我想這可能相當短。

36 so I’m going to go for b) five minutes. 所以我將選擇 b) 五分鐘。

37 Well, you’ll have the correct answer, the result of this survey, 好吧,你將會得到正確的答案,這個調查的結果,

38 at the end of the programme. 在節目結束時。

39 But people have done all sorts of unusual things to reach the interview level. 但是人們為了達到面試的標準,做了各種不尋常的事情。

40 One of them is Briton Daniel Conway, who went from posing shirtless in the street 其中一位是英國人丹尼爾·康威,他曾在街上赤裸上身拍照。

41 with the phrase “employ me” written on his chest 胸前寫著「雇用我」這個詞。

42 to uploading a video on social media asking to be hired. 上傳影片到社交媒體以求被僱用。

43 Ah, this video went ‘viral’ — it means became popular very quickly. 啊,這個視頻成為了「病毒式傳播」——這意味著它很快變得受歡迎。

44 In it, his daughter appears next to the phrase “give my dad a job”. 在其中,他的女兒出現在「給我爸爸一份工作」這句話旁邊。

45 Yes. Daniel Conway tells us about his experience looking for work. 是的。丹尼爾·康威告訴我們他尋找工作的經歷。

46 Which word does he use when he says he wanted to be noticed? 他在說他想被注意時用的是哪個詞?

47 I just thought as a young naive kid that I would kind of walk into a job, 我只是想作為一個年輕天真的孩子,隨便走進一份工作,

48 but the truth is, you know, there are a lot of good people out there 但事實是,你知道,外面有很多好人。

49 who’ve got just as great skills and I realised at that point, 擁有同樣出色技能的人,而我在那時意識到,

50 you’ve got to stand out and get your strengths across. 你必須脫穎而出,展示你的優勢。

51 He used the phrasal verb ’to stand out’. 他使用了短語動詞「脫穎而出」。

52 It means to be more visible than others in a group so that he can be noticed. 這意味著在一個團體中比其他人更引人注目,以便能夠被注意到。

53 Dan Conway uses another phrasal verb — ‘get your strengths across’. 丹·康威使用了另一個片語動詞——「讓你的優勢表現出來」。

54 To get something across means to make something clear. 讓某件事情傳達出去意味著使某件事情清楚明白。

55 In this case, he wants the employer to understand 在這種情況下,他希望雇主能夠理解。

56 how good he is as a potential employee, his strengths and his good qualities. 他作為潛在員工有多優秀,他的優勢和良好品質。

57 And did he get the job? 他得到那份工作了嗎?

58 Well, yes, he did. 嗯,是的,他確實如此。

59 And I’m glad to say that, after four years, 我很高興地說,經過四年,

60 this 29-year-old man got a job marketing vitamins! 這位29歲的男子找到了一份營銷維他命的工作!

61 Well, we can say he was good at marketing himself. 那麼,我們可以說他擅長自我行銷。

62 Yes, we can. 是的,我們可以。

63 Well, he was bold and courageous 他既大膽又勇敢。

64 in his attempts to catch potential employers’ attention. 在他努力吸引潛在雇主注意的過程中。

65 He showed a quality described by career coach Corinne Mills. 他展現了職業教練科琳·米爾斯所描述的一種特質。

66 Listen to what she says and tell me 聽她說的話然後告訴我。

67 what is the quality jobseekers have to show for sure. 求職者必須展示的素質是什麼。

68 Oh, you’ve got to be confident. 哦,你必須要有自信。

69 I mean, if you are not confident about your skills and abilities, 我的意思是,如果你對自己的技能和能力沒有信心,

70 then why should an employer have faith in you? So, don’t be modest. 那麼為什麼雇主應該對你有信心呢?所以,不要太謙虛。

71 This is your opportunity to really show your skills and experience 這是您真正展示您的技能和經驗的機會。

72 and what a great performer you’re gonna be in the job. 你在這份工作中會是一位出色的表現者。

73 The career coach says you’ve got to be confident! 職業教練說你必須要有信心!

74 It means self-assured, believe in your capacity to do things. 這意味著自信,相信你有能力做事情。

75 And sometimes we feel that it isn’t nice to say “I’m very good at this” 有時我們覺得說「我非常擅長這個」並不好。

76 or “I’m wonderful at that,” but she advises you not to be modest. 或是「我在這方面很出色,」但她建議你不要太謙虛。

77 Exactly. ‘Modest’ means ‘humble; moderate when talking about your abilities’. 正確。‘Modest’的意思是’謙虛;在談論你的能力時要適度’。

78 You know, Rob, I’ve got some top tips for people writing their CV. 你知道的,羅布,我有一些寫履歷的好建議。

79 OK, well let’s have them. 好的,那就讓我們擁有它們吧。

80 Yes. Here’s the first one. 是的。這是第一個。

81 You have to be concise — it means brief: give the information in a few words. 你必須簡明扼要——這意味著簡短:用幾個詞提供信息。

82 Maybe you could write a brief profile at the top and keep the CV to just two pages. 或許你可以在頂部寫一個簡短的個人簡介,並將履歷保持在兩頁以內。

83 Thank you. That’s a good bit of advice. 謝謝。這是一個很好的建議。

84 And I think you should give evidence of success in previous jobs. 我認為你應該提供之前工作成功的證據。

85 If a presentation you did helped you to get a client, you should include it there. 如果你所做的演示幫助你獲得了一位客戶,你應該將其包含在那裡。

86 And be accurate, in other words, be precise and tell the truth. 並且要準確,換句話說,要精確並告訴真相。

87 Don’t invent things. 不要編造事情。

88 And you should also remember to check your spelling and grammar! 你也應該記得檢查你的拼寫和語法!

89 Yes, that’s very important! 是的,這非常重要!

90 Well, we wish everybody success when writing and sending out their CV, 我們祝願每個人在撰寫和發送履歷時都能成功,

91 and we hope they are called for a job interview, 我們希望他們能被叫去面試。

92 in which they have a very short period of time to leave a good impression. 在這段非常短的時間內,他們需要留下良好的印象。

93 Indeed! So how long after all is this period of time, according to your survey? 確實如此!那麼,根據你的調查,這段時間到底有多長?

94 Did I get the answer to the question you asked 我得到了你問的問題的答案嗎

95 at the beginning of the programme right? 在節目的開始,不是嗎?

96 Well, I asked you how long do you have, on average, 好吧,我問你平均來說,你有多久。

97 to make a good enough impression for an employer to hire you? 給雇主留下足夠好的印象以便讓他們僱用你?

98 Do you have less than three minutes? 你有少於三分鐘的時間嗎?

99 Less than five minutes? Or less than ten minutes? 少於五分鐘? 還是少於十分鐘?

100 And I said less than five minutes. 我說少於五分鐘。

101 And you’re wrong. 而你是錯的。

102 The correct answer is actually less than ten minutes, 正確答案實際上不到十分鐘。

103 so you have a little bit longer. 所以你有稍微長一些的時間。

104 Jobseekers have on average just six minutes and 25 seconds 求職者平均只有六分鐘二十五秒

105 during the first meeting to impress potential employers. 在第一次會議中給潛在雇主留下深刻印象。

106 That’s according to a new study from the website Monster dot co dot uk. 這是根據網站 Monster.co.uk 的一項新研究得出的。

107 And we’re almost out of time. 我們快沒時間了。

108 So let’s remember some of the words we said today, Neil. 所以讓我們記住今天所說的一些話,尼爾。

109 CV, viral, 履歷,病毒,

110 to stand out, 突出,

111 get your strengths across, 展現你的優勢,

112 confident, modest, 自信,謙虛,

113 concise, accurate. 簡潔、準確。

114 Thank you. Well, that is it for today. 謝謝你。好吧,今天就到這裡。

115 Do log on to BBC Learning English dot com to find more 6 Minute English programmes. 請登錄 BBC Learning English 點 com,尋找更多 6 Minute English 節目。

116 — Until next time, goodbye! — Bye! — 下次見,再見! — 再見!

117 6 Minute English 六分鐘英語

118 from BBC Learning English. 來自 BBC Learning English。

Downloads